Oct 15, 2013

The City


(Alisha's e-mail is a day later than usual because the library was closed yesterday for Columbus Day)

Hello:)
 
This week was very busy and we got to teach a lot of lessons so really it was a very productive week. The sad news is that most of our investigators are not progressing and we need to drop around 4 of them. That is the pits but it is ok and we are praying for some solid investigators.
 
We had the opportunity to teach Colonel Shaw this last week and he is around 70 years old. He is very very sarcastic and that makes it hard to teach him but we think that we kind of got through to him. We were talking about keeping the sabbath day holy and he went off on how other people dont keep the sabbath day holy and how if keeping the sabbath day holy was so important to us then we would not have members who were doctors or police officers etc. It was a little frustrating and I wasn't saying a lot because I didn't want to contend with him. haha but I just felt like I needed to tell him that we aren't on this earth to supervise how others live. We want to help them in anyway that we can but there is nothing we can do beyond that. "We can't pull anyone to heaven." I told him that if he knows that he has to keep the sabbath day holy then it is his responsiblity to do so. He agreed and then the discussion went elsewhere.
 
Last night we had FHE with a part member family. It was the Runge family they are less active and the father is not a member. They have two daughters and a son with a cleft pallet. The son is 3 years old and he can't talk very well so he communicates by signing. So we learned some new signs! haha pretty cool! Well the lesson was all over the place because the children were crazy! haha they are cute though. The thing that just really hit me was when we were going to say the closing prayer. Connor (3 yr old) didn't know what was going on because he was not used to saying prayers. The mom told him he needed to be quiet and my companion started to say the prayer while connor was being very quiet playing with his cars on the coffee table. Well I heard some noise during the prayer and when it was over we saw that the father had leaned over connor and he was helping him fold his arms for the prayer. I just thought it was really special and it was just the best to see that and i just felt that sweet spirit that was there.
 
We are working really hard in this area and we know that the Lord will provide. It will just be in His time and we need to remember that. I love this Gospel and I know that I have changed already. I love you all and I hope you have a wonderful week. :)
 
Sister Alisha Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment